Video on Sabah

Loading...

Map Of Sabah

Custom Search

Just type on search column for any info on Sabah

Wind of Change

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Foreigners already the single largest group in Sabah

DAILY EXPRESS NEWS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foreigners already the single largest group
03 August, 2008
NON-citizens already account for the single largest group in Sabah, representing about 24.8 per cent (or 747,800) out of the State's total population of 3,015,000, in 2005.

Malaysians outnumber them in Sabah only if all the various ethnic groups are looked at collectively, instead of singly.

This information is based on the Statistics Department's (State/District Data Bank 2005; General Report of the Population Census, Volume 1, 1980) breakdown showing the Kadazandusun as the second largest at 17.5 per cent, followed by Other Bumiputera (14.6 per cent), Bajau (13 per cent) and Malays (12.2 per cent).
The rest were Chinese who accounted for 9.7 per cent, Others (4.8 per cent) and Murut (3.2 per cent).

The Federation of Chinese Associations Sabah (FCAS), which distributed this data, also stated that only 230,000 of the 747,800 non-citizens in Sabah were legal workers while the rest were either illegal immigrants, illegal workers or legal workers.

Most of these non-citizens were Filipinos and Indonesians, it said.

FCAS stated that the department's Yearbook of Statistics - Sabah 2007 also revealed in year 2000 there were 2,603,485 people in Sabah. Of this 1,988,661 (76.38 per cent) were Malaysian citizens and the remaining 614,824 (23.61 per cent) were non-Malaysians.

Sabah's population is estimated to be 3,600,000 in 2008, of which 1,500,000 are foreigners, thus making 58 per cent Malaysians and 42 per cent non-Malaysians.

FCAS also mentioned that the Employment and Unemployment Statistics in Sabah in 2006 showed the labour force in Sabah numbered 1,264,100 people of whom were 1,190,700 and 73,500 unemployed.

The same statistics also revealed that the total number of employable people in Sabah in 2006 stood at 2,528,300.

The Number of Employed Persons By Industry in Sabah in 2006 showed that 323,300 out of the 1,190,700 were working in the agriculture and forestry sector; 187,600 were in the wholesale and retail trade, repair of motor vehicles and household goods sector; 136,000 in the manufacturing sector; 92,100 in the construction sector; 87,100 in the public administration and defence sector; 67,100 in education sector; and 56,300 in transports, storage and communications sector.

Under the Number of Employed Persons By Occupation in Sabah in 2006, FCAS stated that 319,600 of the 1,190,700 employed were skilled agricultural and fishery workers; 180,700 were service workers and shop and market sales workers; 140,300 elementary occupations; 133,600 plant and machine operators and assemblers; 111,100 craft and related trade workers; 97,600 clerical workers; and others with professions recorded at 35,500.

Under the Number of Employed Persons By Age Group (between 15 and 64-years-old), 194,100 of those employed were in the 20-24 age group; 193,300 in the 25-29 age group; 171,400 in the 30-34 age group; and 153,000 in the age group of 35-39.

Under the Crime Reported To The Police By Nature of Offence it was revealed that in 2002 crimes such as murder, robbery and extortion, rape amounted to 630 cases while in 2006 the number jumped to 1,702 (a 170 per cent increase).

Crime on property in 2006 amounted to 5,246 cases, which was an increase by 56 per cent compared to the 3,365 cases in 2002. Housebreaking amounted to 1,487 cases, increased by 243 per cent, compared to 243 per cent in 2002.

The Prison Statistics for Sabah showed the total number of people convicted of crime and imprisoned for 2006 was 16,030 people whereas in 2002 the figure stood at 5,575 people (a 188 per cent increase).

Source :Daily Express

No comments: